Unable to follow by GFC or other methods? Follow by email! Subscribe to Incandescent Enchantments here!

Advertise #1

(Ad width is not to exceed 640) For more information, go to my advertisements page! Click here for more information!

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Review: The Burning Sky (The Elemental Trilogy #1)


Title: The Burning Sky
Author: Sherry Thomas
Series: The Elemental Trilogy, #1
Age Group: young adult
Format: paperback
Pages: 449
Release Date: September 17, 2013
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Source: public library
IT ALL BEGAN WITH A RUINED ELIXIR AND A BOLT OF LIGHTNING.
Iolanthe Seabourne is the greatest elemental mage of her generation--or so she's been told. The one prophesied for years to be the savior of the Realm. It is her duty and destiny to face and defeat the Bane, the most powerful tyrant and mage the world has ever known. This would be a suicide task for anyone, let alone a reluctant sixteen-year-old girl with no training.
Guided by his mother's visions and committed to avenging his family, Prince Titus has sworn to protect Iolanthe even as he prepares her for their battle with the Bane. But he makes the terrifying mistake of falling in love with the girl who should have been only a means to an end. Now, with the servants of the tyrant closing in, Titus must choose between his mission--and her life.
The Burning Sky--the first book in the Elemental Trilogy--is an electrifying and unforgettable novel of intrigue and adventure.
 I have two major obsession when it comes to books: angels, and anything dealing with controlling the elements. The Burning Sky deals with the latter, and I couldn't help but fall in love with this book.

Due to major amounts of school work, I have not been reading. But, it's spring break, I stopped by the library on my way home, and just said what the hell to homework and picked up a stack of books. Thank the heavens I picked up The Burning Sky. The book is not without flaws, but it is enjoyable.

Iolanthe is the "greatest elemental mage of her generation". Even though that is continuously stated throughout the book, I couldn't help but not believe it. Most of the time, Titus was saving her arse. I just wanted her to throw lightning at everyone and be a badass. But no, she kept tripping up. I'm big on strong female main characters, so this was hard to get past. The one consolation was that she's pretty witty and smart, but even that was lost after she fell in love. But oh well, maybe she'll get better in the second book.

Secondly, the male main interest is Titus. I get that he's a prince and gets to be all stuck-up, but I couldn't help but not like him. I get it. But, could you be a bit more humble? Even though Iolanthe is supposed to be the strongest, most of the time it felt like Titus is stronger.

I know it sounds like I'm complaining a lot about the character. Just read the book, please. It is worthwhile and a great read. The magical system was really interesting, and the politics are intriguing, too. You won't be wasting your time.

My Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wonderful Opinions

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...